Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Many Happy Ones, Gustavo!!

You know, I’m kind of feeling anxious that my blog might mutate into “Big Brother” blog. Surely there are other far more important things to report on?

Welllll, things are ticking over kind of normally for me at the moment really, although as I said before I’m approaching a busy period. I’m about to start doing the extra work for the exam board plus there’s just a few weeks before the deadline on my web design course is reached. And boy, Flash and Photoshop are difficult to master sometimes; so many complex aspects and bits to remember and sometimes I wanna scream. I have to keep asking my tutor to show me how to do very basic things like changing objects into another colour – I am the original pesky, forever-asking-questions student. But how else am I going to find out? It’s frustrating sometimes as you know in your head what you want something to look like, it’s having the technical know-how to actually get there! But hopefully I will! The course cost over £600 so I can’t exactly afford to fail…I’ve had a few meetings with my friend (for whom I’m doing the website) and we’ve bounced lots of great ideas off one another. Now I just have to bring them to fruition. I can do it. I WILL do it. YESSSS!!

As for my day job, I’ve settled into a routine with that quite quickly really. Whilst it’s nice to have a regular income again, I’m not sure if I want to stay beyond the five month duration. We’ll see.

And as you may have gathered from the title of this post, today is Gustavo’s birthday! Hooray!! And he’s officially hit the big 30. But in a bid to fool everyone he’s going to keep telling them that he’s 29. I’m sure it will work. Anyway he’s at work today but tonight we’re going for a nice meal in a Chinese restaurant near Piccadilly, which should be pleasant. Then he’s got the next three days off work so he can kick back and relax – he’s been working a lot of late – sometimes I worry about him – so the rest will do him good. On Friday night we’re going to Escape bar with his mates (our favourite Soho hang-out) and possibly G.A.Y. club at the Astoria later on. The Astoria is much better on Fridays than Saturdays. On Saturdays the DJ tends to speed up all the tracks into one continuous high energy beat, making some tunes sound like the Smurfs – very naff. Fridays are more “old skool”. So that should be fun…

And as for my hubbie’s birthday gifts, I’ve got him lots of pressies which he’ll be getting later on – all clothes! Two new summer jackets, a few pairs of shorts and a pair of jeans! He’s actually a very small fella – 28 inch waste and clothing wise, even “small” size is usually be too big for him – which makes shopping kind of tricky. GAP Kids and children’s departments can sometimes yield the best results! Anyway after extensive shopping around and with the help of Gustavo’s cousin whilst she was staying with us, I’ve managed to pick up some nice items – well I hope he likes them anyway. The receipts have been retained should he decide otherwise…

And what of Big Brother? Yep, you just KNEW I’d end up talking about it…

Classic Quote Numero Two occurred last night when Lesley, in the BB room, said:
“I’ve never been in an environment where it was possible to talk about hair straighteners for so long.”
How very apt.

Ziggy and Emily put their collective foot in it by openly discussing nominations. Are they stupid or what? Emily was convinced that Ziggy had nominated her and mis-interpreted Ziggy’s response “I’m sorry” taking this to mean, he had done just that. This then degenerated further into a row over Chanelle – Emily was convinced that she had a gameplan and went on and on about this.

STOP PRESS! Talking of Emily, have you seen this:
http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/news/newsstory.jsp?id=3201

Well, a good thing I say. Apparently Emily denies trying to cause offence but I still reckon the right decision was made, particularly in the light of the whole Shilpa debacle last year. It’s a relief to see that Channel Four are back on the ball.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:31 pm , Blogger matty said...

    You know, I think they make those software programs really difficult to keep others employed. ...they shouldn't be as hard as they are! Frustrating! But, sounds like you're mastering it because you're an excellent student!

    I hope his 30th, um 29th birthday was grand!!!!

    kisses from gaytown,
    matty

     
  • At 4:59 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Hope you have a wonderful evening out - many happy returns to the birthday boy!

    And good luck with your course - Dreamweaver is a bit of nightmare to get to grips with but well worth the effort. I look forward to seeing your finished site once it's up and running!

     
  • At 6:30 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    I feel sorry for Emily. I think she's been made a scapegoat!

    Happy Birthday, Gustavo, and hope you both enjoy the celebrations.

    It sounds as though the financial aspect of your computer course is putting pressure on you to succeed whereas, hard though it can be, it's perhaps best to put that to the back of your mind in order to achieve what you undoubtedly can. I wish you well and look forward to visiting the result of all your study...

     
  • At 1:08 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - Yes I think so too sometimes! Thanks for the compliment, I don't feel so confident to be honest but I must keep trying...

    Steve - Yep we had a nice meal - tonight is when we really party though...thank the lord it's Friday...

    I will erm, endeavour to let you all know about the site...the final version probably won't be for some time yet!

    Tim - Yes it does seem that way with Emily although she's not blameless of course (as we've all been saying over on our respective blogs!)

    And thanks again for your good wishes, will let you know!!

    Simon

     
  • At 8:18 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    I feel sorry for Emily. I don't think she's a racist at all. I think, though, that the politics of racist language is far too complex for my liking. We gays can call each other poofs all the time, black people can call each other niggers... What's happening and why am I afraid to say anything? Emily was obviously not afraid - and is now paying the price.

     
  • At 8:18 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Happy birthday, Gustavo.

     
  • At 12:34 pm , Blogger thomas said...

    Happy Birthday Gustavo! Three - oh - you gotta celebrate that! Pls give the birthday boy a hug from us!

    Simon, I know you like Saint Etienne, so, in case you didn't know, I'd like to tell you about the excellent "Turntable Cafe" they've set up on Level 6 of the newly reopened Royal Festival Hall. They've got free events there all weekend and it's been brilliant yesterday, so we will be back there this (Sunday) afternoon, probably at 4.30 for The Priscillas (all female garage rawk). See you there maybe?

     
  • At 6:22 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge - yep, as I was saying on my next post, the politics of language are indeed tricky...Emily just needed to think more carefully about the context in which she was saying what she did. Mind you, I bet friends say this kind of thing to each other all the time - like straight friend take the p*ss out of their gay ones - but cos it's BB it just gets magnified.

    Thomas - nice to hear from you - thanks for letting me know about the Etienne thing, I didn't know about it! A bit short notice and I've been busy with stuff today so unfortunately I was unable to make it...ta anyway. Another time?

     
  • At 5:35 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    You can be rich in paradise.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home