Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Weekend hangover....

....is what I'm currently suffering from at this very moment. Dearie, dearie, me! Had a heavy night at Escape in Soho last night with Gustavo and his pals which was totally brill but am now suffering the consequences...too many red bull and vodkas, white wines, oh and a tequila shot too. Well...it WAS Friday. And Gustavo got a nice bonus at work after all his recent hard graft so he deserved to celebrate...

Anyways the weekend is here, it's lovely and sunny outside and if I can actually drag my carcass outside I might get to soak up some rays at some point...ohhhhh, not sure if I can manage that...I actually haven't felt this bad in quite a while! But not so bad I can't type eh.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there's been another BBC Press release for Season Four of Dr Who, with this (above) accompanying publicity still. As some of my fellow bloggers have already noted, Catherine Tate is looking remarkably serene and sedate. I like her hair and top too. There's a kind of new softness about her whole aura. Does this mean that the screeching fishwife of "The Runaway Bride" will come back a changed, more mellow woman? I hope so. My own personal theory is that like the Dr and Professor Yana, Donna is actually in possession of an antique pocket watch, in which her real Time Lord (Lady) persona resides. "Donna Noble" is actually a fictional invention she has adopted to avoid detection on planet Earth. In the first story of the new season, the Dr happens upon the watch and opens it, ridding "Donna" once and for all of her chavvy persona. For the rest of the season Ms Tate plays the part of Donnavoratrelundar, a sophisticated, highly intelligent Gallifreyan, who makes the original Time Lady Romana look like, well, Donna Noble. She's the Dr's intellectual equal and together they have many thrilling adventures in time and space.

Well I can dream can't I?

If you want to know more about the new season, try here. Amongst other things, the Dr is due to have an encounter with Agatha Christie. As Timewarden has commented, there does seem to be a recurrent pattern with each respective series of the new Who i.e. in every season the Dr meets a well known historical figure from the past! We've had Charles Dickens, Queen Victoria and William Shakespeare. This does seem to smack slightly of tokenism - shoving in a "meet the famous person" story as some kind of conscious gesture. Having said that the Christie story could be really good if done properly - a kind of murder mystery maybe? I would prefer it if RTD didn't write it though.

Thanks to Timewarden for the photo by the way!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:35 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Don't tell anyone, Simon, but I think Catherine Tate looks really rather attractive in this pic which begs the question why didn't RTD take the actress down this route in the first place?!!

    I like your idea regarding Donna. What you've suggested would induce me to watch and want to know more. I think it's high time our "gang" took over the reigns from Mr Davies! I'm sure there's enough creativity and quality writing amongst us all to pull it off.

    Thanks for the plugs and glad you and Gustavo had a good night even if it does mean you're paying the price now with a bad morning/afternoon...

     
  • At 11:12 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    My God Tim, are you falling for the charms of Donna Noble?! Who would have thought it?

    Glad you liked my Donna idea, unfortunately I DON'T think it's going to see the light of day. You're right though, we are all gifted writers and our talents need to be put to good use! So let's all team up and make a trip to Cardiff. We'll kidnap RTD, tie him up and gag him, then throw him into Cardiff Bay. The rest of the DW Production Team will all disappear mysteriously. Then we can step into the breach. Simple, eh?

    You're welcome...at the end of the weekend I'm feeling much better but it's bedtime soon...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home