Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, July 31, 2008

WOW x 100!!

Well, here I am AGAIN. Does this mean I'm becoming a full time as opposed to full time Cheeser? Not quite. But I'm getting there.

And - I am pleased to say Kylie in concert the other night was bloody magnificent!! Very good indeed. My laptop is currently in dock for repairs, otherwise I would have uploaded some photos I took on my digital camera to show you what she/it was like. Fortunately here's a few ones I nicked off the net in the meantime:

As said I'm going to write a proper review soon(ish) but highlights for me included:
  • The excellent Kylie costume changes (even if she was quite "covered up" she still looked very interesting - some great dominatrix outfits!)
  • Great moves from the dancers and so many different styles - ballroom dancing, disco...
  • Some brilliant backdrops on the screen behind the stage e.g. Kylie as geisha girl in a flowery garden; Kylie as a Japanese prostitute (? I think) walking down the street with Atari-type graphics; glitter balls and Saturday Night Fever style flashing squares...and so forth...
  • The different sets/styles utilised for "groups" of songs e.g. The "Copacabana" section with Kyles on a ship hanging out by a cocktail bar; the "American football" bit with lots of hunky footballer-dancers supporting Ms M and pom pom girls to boot; the "Russian ballroom" look leading into "On A Night Like This"...all highly creative!
  • The excellent and different interpretations of old tracks e.g. sampling "Spinning Around" with Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real" - a masterstroke and on a par with Madonna's ingenious mash-up of "Music" and "Disco Inferno" (a particular favourite of mine). The acapella version of "Step Back In Time"...
All in all, damn good stuff from Mistress Minogue and certainly value for money -£50 as opposed to the £160 I splashed out previously for Madonna. Talking of Madge, Kylie's show did bear a certain resemblance to her's but was, in my view, equally entertaining and good!!

I was also very impressed with O2, having never visited the venue ever before. O2 as in the old Millenium Dome. It's bloody massive! And has far more there than Wembley Stadium or Arena - tons of bars and restaurants and room to walk around and all the better for that. Me and Gustavo had a very nice tapas meal and some sangrias before the show to get us in the mood...very nice!

What else. I have three weeks left in my current job before leaving for my new one and I can't wait to go!! Nuff said. Typically I've got tons of stuff to sort out before I go, so the stress is on at the moment. Grrrr!!

Re: my proposed blog-meet, thanks to those of you who responded and showed an interest! All we gotta do now is agree on a date and place. I didn't have as many people get back and say "YES!" as I would have liked though. What about my fellow faggot bloggers? Sorry, I mean the ones of homosexual persuasion. Only Mr Newplanet has shown an interest. What about the rest of you? (!) I also had another brainwave - to those of you who have taken up my offer, if it makes you feel better (and to also make up numbers), why not invite some of YOUR fellow blogging pals as well? Just a thought.

Now. I'm spinning around...get out of my way...

OC xx

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

  • At 4:48 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I'm so very jealous and happy for you!!!!

    Kylie is awesome!!!

    xxx,
    matty

     
  • At 7:27 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Have to say, our Kylie is looking remarkably buff and tip-top. Jason was a fool to let her go!

     
  • At 9:45 am , Blogger newplanet said...

    I loved seeing the show at the O2. You're right, the venue is MASSIVE and it made for the whole night to be even more of an event. You might like to know that the black "spider" dress for the opening act debuted at the first London gig with only seven shows to go! I'm guessing the purple dress had simply worn itself out after 46 shows! Afterwards we tried to get into the last G.A.Y. at the Astoria, since Kylie was rumoured to be appearing, but couldn't get in for love nor money. Oh well!

     
  • At 4:59 pm , Blogger Brand New W said...

    soooooo jealous!!! i'm so glad u had a great time and to hear that her show is good!! I've seen some clips online but have been a bit underwhelmed. I guess it's just not the same as being there!! I will have to twiddle my thumbs for the DVD, I suppose.

     
  • At 5:23 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kylie is much hotter than Madonna I must say. Very envious.

    As for the meet - I reckon people are a bit off blogger at the moment for the summer. You'd probably get a better response if you suggested it in the Autumn when people are more online. Maybe?

    Faggot bloggers - you do make me laugh.

     
  • At 8:55 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I'm a faggot blogger! And proud of it!!!!

    So, did she do "You Should be so Lucky"? ...please tell me that she did and that it was glorious!!!!

     
  • At 10:41 am , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    I thought about it, but after seeing her last two shows decided I needed a Kylie break. Then I read your review and though 'hmmm, maybe I should see of there are any tickets left'. There were, but right up in the gods and, seemingly, behind the stage (?). So it clearly wasn't meant to be.

     
  • At 2:28 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    (Steve - I saw Jason on the Friday Night Project last week and is it just me or is he a useless strumpet?) Simon, glad you had a good time! Have never seen KM in concert and not really likely to to be honest but I have heard she does a good show. We had an 80s weekend on TV here this one past and there was Kylie doing her Lucky Lucky thing...shudder - the hair and clothes...

     
  • At 1:13 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hey y'all....

    Matty - yes, she was and she is! Awesome that is (very US word!)

    And I kinda had a hunch that you might be a faggot blogger...

    As for "Lucky" she did indeed do it as an encore! The concert wouldn't have been complete without it. ALTHOUGH - I have to say I did think that, for such an iconic song, the performance could have been better - just her on the stage without any accompanying dancers or razzamatazz - the song demands it surely!

    Steve - Yes, she's in good shape. Wish I was as trim as her. As for Jason - well, she's too good for him, isn't she? Closet gay that he is...whoops, did I REALLY just say that?

    Newplanet - Glad you enjoyed O2 as well! I didn't know that about the black spider dress. My pictures are technically wrong then!

    I heard about the last night at G.A.Y. and kind of wished I could have been there! I'm not surprised you couldn't get in, being the very last night and all, it must have been absolutely choca. Such a total shame about Astoria being knocked down - it was an institution and also had a lot of history. Funny to think that an old music hall became a haven for the gays, but also highly appropriate. Bloody Crossrail!

    Hots! Maybe the clips you saw weren't filmed very well but I can promise you it was a great show. I too am waiting for the DVD, it will be a momento of a fab night!

    Gina - Yes, some people do think that. Oddly Kylie's show was very reminiscent of Madge and yet had a distinctly "Kylie" flavour to it, if that makes any kind of sense.

    You may well be right about the meeting up thing. As you say people are probably absent and on Summer hols so maybe I'll give it a few more months instead.

    Lost Boy - Nice to know my review influenced you to at least attempt to purchase some tickets! Nah, I think you probably did the right thing not bothering - didn't sound like very good seats on offer. I have to say I was craning my neck to look at those unfortunates way up on the top "tiers" - not much of a view!

    Amanda - Jason IS a useless strumpet. And I mean, compare his post-Neighbours career to Kylie's! Echo Beach anyone? (And by the way, WHAT happened to that?!)

    I think you would enjoy KM even if you're not a major fan. As for the original "Lucky" vid, it's a hoot! As are many of her early videos like "Got To Be Certain" etc. Does this mean we'll be looking back at 2000s videos in a few decades time and sniggering too?

     
  • At 7:23 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Jason even looked like a plant of wood dressed as Frank'n'Furter in Rocky Horror. Useless strumpet indeed.

     
  • At 7:23 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Or even a plank of wood.

     
  • At 10:50 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Steve - a plank of wood has more personality. I thought he was an utter waste of space. In the nicest possible way. yeah. Right.

     
  • At 11:39 am , Blogger thomas said...

    Hi - I might not have much time in the coming weekends but pls count me in for a meetup if I've got time! What do you look like again? :-)

    Glad u enjoyed Kylie! i've got good memories of cheesy student disco nights and parties down in B'ton in the early 90s where her songs ruled and I'm glad she's still around!

    Yeah, shame about the Astoria (though it is in dire need of a refurb, to be fair)! there are so many iconic places and institutions under threat from development in London right now, it's scary.

     
  • At 1:21 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Stevenage and Randy Mandy! I should have done a Jason Donovan post so you two could carry on your conversation, my lovelies! Or maybe I still should...

    Thomas - Glad you are up for a meet! Although from previous conversation here it would seem an Autumnal arrangement might be better as lots of people are on hols at present.

    Ahhh yes, dancing to Kylie at Tack and erm, Club Revenge (!!!)

    Indeed, it is very sad about Astoria. Might have to take a few pics of the place before they pull it down forever.

     
  • At 7:45 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    Wonderful stuff. I saw her in concert a few years ago and was well impressed by her professionalism. Even when someone threw a shoe at her from the audience - odd I know - and she kept on singing.

     
  • At 3:36 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Nora - I remember you mentioning that - the shoe-chucking incident that is. Great to hear she carried on regardless - that's our Kylie!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home