Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, May 07, 2007

Video of the Fortnight - Cybermen!

And in a change from my usual video post extravanganzas, I bring you...something completely different.

Even if you're not a major Dr Who fan, I think you might just like this.

It's a souped up clip from the 1983 story "The Five Doctors" in which a gang of Cybermen meet their fate at the hands of a Raston Warrior Robot! Whilst all the destruction is going on the Third Doctor and assistant Sarah Jane Smith, played by Jon Pertwee and Elisabeth Sladen respectively, make good their escape!

The juxtaposition of speeded up visuals and "saucy" saxaphone score works perfectly! Remind you of anything? Dr Who as an intergalactic sex farce, anyone?

9 Comments:

  • At 7:03 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Looks like the little bald slapheaded fella got his revenge after all...

     
  • At 6:01 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Come again?

     
  • At 8:45 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Benny Hill would be proud!

     
  • At 5:19 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    I think Steve's referring to the reggae-loving Rasta, apologies, Raston Warrior Robot!

    When I was but a nipper, I used to call the guys from Mondas, latterly of Telos, even more latterly of Alternate Earth, Cydermen. I can just see them stopping off at the pub for a pint of scrumpy before their next invasion!!!

     
  • At 7:19 am , Blogger Steve said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:21 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Now I'm completely lost! I think my ignorance of early Doctor Who is showing all too clearly! I was actually referring to Jackie Wright - the little old, bald headed fellow who'd appear in every episode of Benny Hill and who's main purpose seemed to be to stand around while Mr Hill slapped him "comically" upon the top of his head. I was expecting the Raston robot to receive the same punishment from the Cybermen (or Cydermen - weren't they The Wurzles?). Alas I was severely disappointed. And there were no Hill's Angels either. Damn!

    7:19 AM

     
  • At 11:43 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Boys - Oh yes, I vaguely remember that bald-headed fella!! A bit like the "Tango" man too? I suppose Jon Pertwee could have rushed up to the Raston Robot and slapped it - but then again it has a rather deadly aim and judging by the treatment the Cybermen received this wouldn't be very wise!! I suspect the robot would have blown the top off Jon's bouffant!!

    Cydermen, he he!! Love it!!

     
  • At 7:00 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Bingo - you've got him. He was exactly like the Tango man. Except not orange. And a darn sight thinner!

     
  • At 8:36 am , Blogger Minge said...

    I am a cider drinker. I drinks it all o' the time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home