Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, August 24, 2007

Quote of the week - Bette Davis

A fabulous actress; a diva; an icon to many; a force to be reckoned with; a gusty lady indeed. Ladies and gents, I give you: Ms Bette Davis. Here's some of the lines she gifted us with, playing a variety of different characters ...

"I detest cheap sentiment" - Margo Channing, All About Eve (1950)

"Yes, I killed him. And I'm glad, I tell you. Glad, glad, glad!" - Leslie Crosbie, The Letter (1941)

"I'll admit I may have seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut" - Margo Channing, All About Eve (1950)

"Lovely speech, Eve. But I wouldn't worry so much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be" - Margo Channing, All About Eve (1950)

"But ya are, Blanche, ya are in that chair!" Baby Jane Hudson to sister Blanche Hudson, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

"Take your 10% hands off me!" - Margaret Elliot, The Star (1952)

"How about some pate? Chock-full of vitamins!" - Christine Radcliffe, Deception (1946)

"What man would ever look at me and say, 'I want you?' I'm fat. My mother doesn't approve of dieting. Look at my shoes. My mother approves of sensible shoes. Look at the books on my shelves. My mother approves of good, solid books. I am my mother's well-loved daughter. I am her companion. I am my mother's servant. My mother says - my mother, my mother, MY MOTHER!" - Charlotte Vale, having a nervous breakdown, Now, Voyager (1942)

"The only fun I get is feeding the goldfish, and they only eat once a day" - Marie Roark, Bordertown (1935)

"I find one should never look for admirers while at the same time one is falling to bits" - the aging Fanny Skeffington, Mr Skeffington (1944)

"I'm so happy you're happy" - Margo Channing to Karen Richards, All About Eve (1950)

"What a dump!" - Rosa Moline, Beyond The Forest (1949)

"I didn't bring your breakfast, because you didn't eat your din-din!" Baby Jane to Blanche, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962).

Class.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:53 am , Blogger matty said...

    "I'd kiss you, but I just washed my hair."

    ...love that quote.

    wasn't that from Ms. Davis?!?!!?

    ...PETRIFIED FOREST, maybe!!?!?

    she so rocked!

     
  • At 5:11 am , Blogger Alan Fisher said...

    All About Eve is quite possibly one of the greatest movies ever made.

    Bette is stunningly brilliant in it. You look at all these modern actresses but they couldn't possibly compare.

    Bravo, Bette.

     
  • At 11:49 pm , Blogger newplanet said...

    I just watched "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" for the first time last week. It was awesome and I loved every moment! Bette was simply awesome in it and I am now loving Joan Crawford too.

     
  • At 12:58 pm , Blogger Lubin said...

    Wonderful! I saw All About Eve recently at a screening in New York. The audience was full of mad old ladies in wigs... Every time I watch that film I get something more from it.

    You've inspired me to get out Mr Skeffington again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home