Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, October 29, 2007

Oh-oh-Seven....

Happy Monday.

Okay, here I go, here I go, here I go AGAIN!

I swear I've already done a post just like this. Anyway, I've been tagged by the Fabulous Minge (who, incidentally, has just announced his retirement from the blogging world. Say it isn't SO, Roy!! Or is he just fibbing? Always possible from a man who used to do a regular post called "Fib Sunday". And the last time he stated that he was packing it all in was 1 April...) Anyway....

Here are the rules:

Firstly, post these rules and a link to the person who tagged you.

Secondly, share seven facts about yourself, all devastatingly interesting.

Lastly, tag seven people at the end of your post, linking their names to their blogs. Follow this up by advising said parties of the tag in the comment section on their blog(s).

Seven things about Old Cheeser, then (God I'm really going to have to rack my brains to think of something...):

I am a Postgraduate twice over. I possess a Master of Arts in English Literature and a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Secondary level - English). (I'm sure I mentioned this one before - and after all interesting facts about you don't change, do they?!)

I have lived in London since January 1999 where I came to work as secondary teacher. After approximately a year and a half, I packed it in as it was very stressful and I hated disciplining teenagers.


I met my husband when he was living upstairs from me in a block of flats in North-West London. My housemates and I held a party in the Summer of August 2004 and I, erm, seized this opportunity to get better acquainted with my Brasiliero neighbour. No lie!


I have never ever been to the USA. In particular, I really want to visit New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles. At 38 I feel that time is running out.


I have a small scar on my forehead (only really noticeable when close up). I got this when I was about 3 years old and tripped on the step of a bus, then fell and split my head open. My Mum told me that the bus driver gave me some jelly babies but I have absolutely no recollection of what happened. As for knocking some sense into me, I think the accident has probably had the opposite effect, on a life-long basis.

I prefer boxer-briefs to boxer shorts. The former hold it all in, whilst the latter let it all hang out. I therefore often wear the former, and never the latter.

I used to have a massive crush on River Phoenix. A talented actor, beautiful looking guy and a waste of life to have died so early.

And now I'm tagging Dan, Paul, Deemer, Steve, Amanda, Tim and Matty.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:41 am , Blogger matty said...

    I did it!

    ...so you don't like to let 'em hang, eh?

     
  • At 7:04 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Wow - funnily enough I have a tiny indentation on my forehead (not quite a scar) just below the hair line but have no idea how I did it. I don't think jelly babies or even a bus driver were ever involved. I feel cheated!

     
  • At 11:53 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Well done Matty! Your facts were much more diverse and unusual than mine, I reckon.

    Steve - Mmm that's strange, a scar you can't explain! Perhaps you're really an alien like one of the Borg or something similar and you're recharged at night with a cable that connects to your forehead? Perhaps Karen does it for you when you sleep...

    My, don't I have an active imagination! Not to mention a sci-fi fixated brain...

     
  • At 4:04 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Yes that indeed may explain Karen's fumblings about my person at night... hmm...!

    7 interesting facts now cooked up and served chef...!

     
  • At 5:07 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    You're a saint and a sinner, but always hilarious!

     
  • At 3:03 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    All done sweetie. Nothing devatstatingly interesting I'm afraid. Well, nothing I would want to reporters to get hold of anyway!!

     
  • At 1:05 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Well done all of you!

    Minge - I can't deny it!

     
  • At 10:04 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    Wow I can't believe I didn't comment on this. I've had a busy week so it must have slipped my mind. Well it's very nice to learn more about you. The thing that struck me as most interesting was how you met your husband. It actually sounds kinda romantic--that you met someone from your neighborhood and then eventually got married! I'm going to check to see who is my upstairs neighbor now!

    It would also be interesting to learn why you didn't enjoy teaching, unless you have already blogged about this before. I always have high respect for those in education. It definately tells you about the person's character if that is what they end up doing. But I can imagine it would be difficult to do that in an urban environment.

    Also what is your interest in River P? I only remember him from "Stand by me."

    Anyway, thanks for sharing ( :

     
  • At 12:37 am , Blogger Deemer said...

    I forgot to say, it's never too late to visit the states. You should definately do it sometime!

     
  • At 12:50 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hi Deemer

    Equal apologies for the slow reply - I too have been busy! Thanks for your nice comments. Yes it's quite unusual to meet someone local who then becomes your partner - especially in a place as vast as London! I can imagine Chicago may be similar (though not quite as large a metropolis...)But yes, go check out your neighbour, you never know, he could be a total love God!! I wish you luck!!

    As for the teaching thing, as a matter of fact I DO enjoy teaching, I just realise with hindsight that I went for the wrong age group i.e. teenagers! Certainly in the state schools in this country the kids can be hard work. I found the discipline thing hardest of all and very difficult and demoralising sometimes, which ultimately led me to quitting. And you're right about teaching in a city, certainly the kids here can be much more "gruelling" than ones from some nice country school!

    However I still tutor students one-to-one which is much more enjoyable and from 2003-06 I taught English at an adult education centre which was great - basically because the people are there because they want to be and are much more motivated to learn! Once a teacher always a teacher really and I've still retained my skills from that.

    Well, you did ask! But thanks for the interest...I might do a proper post on teaching some time so I can share thoughts with other bloggers.

    As for River P, I love him! Firstly because he was undoubtedly a very beautiful and attractive-looking guy (certainly in his latter years before the drug addiction took its toll). Second he was different (in a similar way to someone like Johnny Depp) to other film stars and tended to eskew the whole Hollywood thing which I liked. He had a sensitivity and intelligence to his persona. Third, and kind of following on from point two, was his choice of film roles - he often went for interesting and unusual roles, often in "off the wall" movies (cliched expression but I can't think of anything at the mo). Take his performance in "My Own Private Idaho" for instance, which was nothing less than brilliant/heartbreaking - he was so good as the hustler looking for his Mum. Fourth, he was a damn good actor! All of which making it so tragic that his life was cut short like it was. I'm sure he would have had a very interesting career ahead of him.

    And yep, one day I WILL visit the states!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home