Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, January 18, 2008

Ay oop, chuck....

Fookin' 'ell luv! Vera Duckworth's just carked it!

But here's a photo of her in her better days...

Wasn't she fookin' gorgeous, chuck? Let's put our cloth caps on, go down the Rovers on and 'ave a pint of Newton and Ridleys, to commemorate the passing of this Northern icon... *

* I'm not actually much of a Coronation Street fan, but feel that the passing of Mrs D is a rather sad one and hence worth commenting on. The character was a street resident for over 30 years! Tonight she passed away quietly in her armchair. Great acting from Liz Dawn who played the sadly deceased Vera to perfection - she never moved a muscle. And erm, she didn't do a bad job of playing her when she was alive, either.

And - claim to fame - my Mum once sat next to Vera aka Liz D in a restaurant!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:44 pm , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    Haha.I kept thinking "fucking hell, how's she keeping so still?"

     
  • At 3:38 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Producer Phil Collinson is leaving "Doctor Who" to work on the "Street", to which I think he'll be more suited!

     
  • At 7:40 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Eeh... what will Jack "Duck-egg" do wi'out 'is Vera now eh?

     
  • At 7:18 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Lost Boy - Yep, she did a damn good job. Maybe Liz Dawn had taken lots of sleeping pills to make her "death" look more realistic. Or someone hit her over the head, Richard Hilman style.

    Timewarden - Yes, he'll be taking his "soap style" there instead I guess. WHO knows what changes the next DW will bring?

    Steve - Probably cry into his Lancashire hot pot on a nightly basis, I shouldn't wonder. Poor old Jack...

     
  • At 1:46 pm , Blogger matty said...

    You know, I've never seens Coronation Street, but I'm sorry Vera passed on, but it looks like she did so with dignity! And, I love that look she is sporting in your posted photo. Such a lovely!

     
  • At 8:57 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Isn't she just! She's at her most glamorous and gorgeous in that particular photo I think. Any other pictures of Vera Duckworth should be BURNT!! They're just FAKES!!

     
  • At 8:54 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Poor ol' Jacko indeed, whatever will he do without his little lamb chop? From memory Jack and Vera kinda "replaced" Hilda and Stan Ogden and I think Stan died first in that team. An end of an (V)era.

     
  • At 1:55 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Amanda - Yes indeed. I guess Jack and Vera were the Stan and Hilda of the modern age...they weren't that modern though (although Vera's perm got more trendy over t'years...and that silly sticking plaster on Jack's glasses vanished...)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home