Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I've been driving in my car (it's not quite a jaguar)

O. M. G. Tonight, for the first time ever, I start driving lessons. (And that's O. M. G. as in Oh My God, not Oh M. G. , appropriate though that would be ...)

Ladies and gentlemen, it's Cheeser Confession time:

I have never driven a car in my LIFE.

But I figured (as someone approaching 40) it was high time I learnt. One of the deciding factors for me has been my new job, which geographically is not too far away from where I am living now - well, it's a good number of miles really, but the route by car is actually more direct than that taken by train or bus. Having said that, whilst I'm learning to drive I'll still have to get the train to work... I tried the bus on the day of my interview and it was a nightmare.


Of course I've already been privy to endless stories from various people all bemoaning the high costs of running a car - road tax, insurance, MOTs, parking permits, not to mention the high price of fuel - and how, consequently, it ain't worth it. Mmmm... Still, even if it does all prove rather too costly, I still reckon it's worth getting my licence - a skill they can't take away from you eh??

I do feel a bit nervous about driving on the road though, having never ever tried it. The prospect of being a motorist in London fills me with even more dread, given the often crazy, aggressive nature of some of the drivers and frequent disregard for the Highway code that goes on here. Having said that, I was a cyclist in the Big Smoke for a few years (until I got my bike nicked) something I thought I would never do, and which people often regarded as a brave thing indeed - and I survived that (only one nasty accident once near Kings Cross...) I guess that stood me in good stead. So, fingers, thumbs and all extremities are firmly crossed!

And I have some money sensibly stashed away should I choose to purchase my first car. So... Will it look like this:

Will I be driving a Mini Cooper and feeling super-duper?

Or will it be like this:

Meaning I will have to re-name myself Lady Penelope? (Then again, as attractive as the prospect of being chauffeur-driven is, it kind of defeats the object i.e. it won't be ME doing the driving...)

Or will it look like Sarah Jane's rather funky/retro two-seater that she uses to zip around, solving intergalactic invasions and mysteries? Oooooh, that would be very nice.

Nah. With my budget, my first car is far more likely to look like this:

Quite.

Meanwhile, what have been YOUR driving experiences? When did you first learn to drive? What was it like? Or maybe you can't drive atall and don't give a monkey's??

Wish me luck in my first driving experiences, my lovelies!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 1:12 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Old Cheeser, all the best with your driving lessons, and hope you get your licence soon, you can check out my blog UK driving school for tips, advice and videos to help you on the way.

    Keep at it, and don't give up if the going gets though.

     
  • At 10:15 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    Well done ol' bean! I reckon it's great that you're attempting this, I keep meaning to have swimming elssons but hate cold water and chlorine smell!

    When you get your bit of paper, you can visit me and have a choice of our Jag or the wee Morris!

     
  • At 10:22 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    By the way we don't as much traffic over here. I recall being in London, driving about and we got into a circle of traffic and couldn't get out for ages. It was like something from a Bean Movie.

     
  • At 5:09 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hello driving instructor blogger! Thanks so much for the good wishes and it's really useful to know there is a blog out there for learner drivers! I had a quick look at your blog and it looks very helpful.

    Amanda - Thanks honey! One can but try...

    So you can't swim then? Living in quite a watery country too? Never too late to learn. In fact I never did learn at school but kind of taught myself...we are all naturally buoyant.

    I'd love to come and visit and drive either your Jaguar or Morris! Ta! The latter is a "classic" NZ car isn't it?

    And yes, being a considerably smaller (and probably much healthier) country than GB I can understand you'd have less traffic over there. Probably a good thing really. In fact I've often heard it said that the population of NZ can fit into London alone. To tell the truth the prospect of driving through a car/bus/lorry-congested London doesn't fill me with much positivity! But if you can drive here I guess you can drive anywhere.

     
  • At 8:25 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Wishing you retrospective good luck in your lessons - hope you're soon roaring around the streets of London in a huge bat tank taking out the Joker and his cronies...!

     
  • At 11:06 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Cheers Steve. OMG, can you imagine me doing that - I think a killer pink cadillac would be more my style to tell the truth...

     
  • At 9:27 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Barely looking at that yellow vehicle makes me wonder how tight your budget is. Well, have no fear, for you can absolutely purchase a decent car that fits your budget. Just have a look around in your city or browse the Internet to find all the car dealers within your local. Ask for a quote and make some background check on each. I know for sure that you’ll find a reliable and trustworthy car dealer in no time.

    - Kyle Schmidt

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home