Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Jason Donovan: Is he or isn't he?

Okay. Inspired by the conversational antics of Steve and Amanda, I have decided to create a new (fairly) regular post:

Is he, or isn't he?

Or -

Is she, or isn't she?

In other words, is this person a: raving queen/a rug-munching lezzer and just in a massive state of denial? Or, in the interests of "maintaining a public image" are they so far back in the closet they're practically in Narnia? (Quoted too many times but it still cracks me up).

Oh God. Do I REALLY have to spell it out for you? Okay, the issue I am addressing is:

ARE THEY REALLY GAY OR LESBIAN?

This week's focus: Jason "I'm not gaaaaay I'm heterosexual" Donovan. Remember the famous court case back in the 1990s when he sued The Face for even daring to hint at his sexuality? Honestly. One could argue that the Jase protested too much...

So...what do we all reckon? Is he or isn't he? And if he IS, what evidence can you bring to the bench, ladies and gentlemen of the jury? I am DYING to know, so get posting your thoughts PRONTO.

PS Thought you'd REALLY like the tasteful pic of Jase above. Only slightly less classy than his former partner Kylie below. And what could the bottle be hiding? It's fair dinkum. Or should that be dick-um?

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 7:32 am , Blogger Steve said...

    I think Jason is bi. Does that ruin your new project? Hope not! He was definitely in love with Kylie in the early days but I don't recall much female love action happening for our Jase since then. Maybe Kylie put him off women for life? Maybe he knew he'd never meet anyone to match her again. Maybe it didn't work because he secretly fancied Harold Bishop...?

     
  • At 7:34 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Karen has just read your post and my comment over my shoulder and wisely said: "If there was only ever one woman then Jason is probably gay." I'm not arguing with that.

     
  • At 1:27 pm , Blogger newplanet said...

    Straight as they come, I think. Kylie herself said in an interview once that she vouched for his straightyness. Hasn't he got kids and stuff with some no-name bird?

     
  • At 3:10 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Steve - You could be right, but I prefer to go with Karen's suggestion. The Harold Bishop theory is a good one though.

    However Newplanet is actually right, Jase IS married with kids, but I'd like to think that doesn't prove anything...

     
  • At 3:34 am , Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

    I don't know if he's bi or hetero, but I'm pretty sure his theme song is, "Love is a Long and Slender Thing".

     
  • At 3:05 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Bear in the Woods - hello and welcome! Ha ha - now what exactly are you referring to by that song?

    Interesting website by the way with some nice pics...

     
  • At 6:51 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    I just wish I cared one way or the other.

     
  • At 6:52 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    damn, hit the wrong button...I wantd to add that I actually thought he had dropped off the "celeb radar" yonks ago and was really surprised to see him on that TV show!

     
  • At 4:58 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Amanda - Oh, Jase still does stuff - Rocky Horror Picture Show...Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (ahem!) Hardly in the class of Kylie though...Which TV show are you referring to?

     
  • At 1:23 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    The Friday Night Project. Honestly he was so awful it should have been called the Friday Night Projectile (Vomit). If you hadn't seen him beofre you would certainly think he was as camp as a row of tents, but he had no spark, no entertainment value at all, vacuous even!! And what, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...what on earth did he desecrate in that?? (I loved that as a child)

     
  • At 8:44 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    A-haaaa. You mean the NZ version of Friday Night Project, or UK one? They do have "odd" guests on it sometimes, who appear in a bid to show how "good" they are at comedy. Sometimes it works and sometimes the guesting "stars" fall flat on their arses...I can imagine old Jase was a bit bland...your comment on his campness is a bit revealing though...thus lending weight to the homo theories??

    Yes, he WAS in "Chitty" and played...the Childcatcher! Creepy...and rather a strange choice of casting...what does it say about Mr Donovan's personal life?!

     
  • At 10:15 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    We get UK re-runs so it was the UK version; the whole show he kept snuggling up to the hairy bearded guy and giving him hugs etc, I dunno he just didn't even say anything worthwhile; the previous week we watched David Tennant and he was great!

     
  • At 11:09 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    I see...yes the UK version is usually pretty funny but from your description Mr Donovan obvously wasn't. David T is good at sending himself up though. Do you see the one where he dressed up as a leggy blonde DW assistant? (He's been on Friday Night Project a more than once I think.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home