Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Monday, January 15, 2007

The return of Charlene

And Kylie’s "Showgirl" Homecoming tour was broadcast the other night too. She played (or should I say performed?) in her home country of Australia! Strewth, mate!! It was great to see her back and on form!!

It was a dazzling show and a fairly lengthy one too (I think every song from the concert was included as opposed to the edited version of Madonna’s "Confessions" Tour shown on TV a couple of months back). Kylie looked radiant throughout, and was flanked by an array of hunky and interestingly clad dancers who performed some amazing routines. There were some amazing costumes on display too, although I must confess I didn’t like everything that Kylie wore! (Queens everywhere are sooo gonna hate me for saying that). For instance the outfit she donned for “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” was rather … odd. A bizarre silver wig, multi-coloured pashmina and … I can’t actually remember the rest of the costume, but it was a bit of an unflattering combo. The saucy white revealing number and metallic dress that she wore in the original video were both much more effective.

I also couldn’t help noting the similarities to Madge’s recent concert. The religious theme during “Confide In Me” and “Cowboy Style” did rather echo the “Live To Tell” / “Isaac” section of Madonna’s own show. There was a tribute to “Vogue” (The “Greta Garbo and Monroe” rap bit) thrown in during one of Kylie’s songs, which was very … Madonna. Stylistically there was a certain amount of resemblance to Madonna’s show too.

Which begs the question: Who copied who first?

But I’m really just being a quibbling queen. It was still great entertainment.

Highlights for me were the opener “Better The Devil You Know”, one of Kylie’s most enduring anthems and a highly appropriate choice for opening song. Kylie looked utterly resplendent in feathered headdress and sequinned leotard (see above - very obviously camp attire but she still looked amazing and it made for a very effective entrance!) “Come Into My World” was sung ballad-style with Kylie sitting on giant crescent moon high above the stage. And “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head”, one of the encore tunes, had … wait for it …a Dr Who theme! Which naturally floated my boat! Kylie’s dancers wore Cyber-helmets and at one point a TARDIS materialisation sound could be distinctly heard above the music. (Mmm, I wonder how Ms Minogue managed to get rights from the Beeb? Come to think of it, Dr Who producer Russell T Davies is a bit of a queen and probably a Kylie fan to boot ... so I can see a "way in" there...) The laser lighting during "Can't..." was amazing too. So all in all there were lots of great moments.

She also engaged far more with her audience than Madge does. At the end she gave a long speech saying how glad she was to be back which was lovely. And she does seem to have a nice, down to earth approach with people in spite of the fact that she’s a megastar. At one point an audience member handed her a Charlene t-shirt which prompted her into doing a humorous impersonation of her old Neighbours character.

Unfortunately news has just broken that Kylie has been taken ill again. Apparently she has a respiratory tract infection and has cancelled her next two tour dates, leading to speculation that she didn’t give herself enough time to recover from her breast cancer treatment. From the fans’ point of view this is of course very disappointing, but the most important thing of all is that she gets better soon. She’s been through enough already. Viva Charlene! (As Scott Robinson might say).

17 Comments:

  • At 6:40 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Do you see that Jim Robinson is in Ugly Betty?

    Kylie is fabulous, but she, sadly, never gives much away, always playing her cards very close to her chest which gives Joe Public the impression that she's dull.

     
  • At 8:30 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    I saw Kylie a few years ago at the Hammersmith Apollo. What a trouper. Some idiot in the audience threw a shoe at her on stage which hit her in the chest. Did she stop? Nope, she ignored and carried on singing. It must have really hurt her though.

     
  • At 9:40 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Minge - yes indeed, Jim Robinson with an American accent! He still looks the same but sounds totally different!

    I have heard that about Kylie. Still she's entitled to her privacy I guess. Besides she more than compensates for her lack of openness re: her personal life by being such a totally fabulous public performer! Especially in her videos and on stage.

    Nora - that's an inspirational story. If life deals you a painful blow, just ignore it and keep going...yes indeedy!!

     
  • At 9:45 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, I would so love to see this! I do love Kylie.

    And, I wish you had posted a picture for us over in the US to see -- the costume in question! LOL! However, I am sure you are quite right.

    When it comes to who stole from who first. I don't know, but in life I feel the karmatic results are better to always side with Kylie. I just suspect she is a nice person. And, I salute her!

    ...I think I'm getting a cold.

    I love Flaming Nora's profile picture!

     
  • At 9:46 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I hate that someone threw a shoe at Kylie and I take comfort in the fact that it might have been winter and that the person had to walk home with one foot bare!

     
  • At 10:37 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I'm sure you can find some pics of her outfits on the net - she has an official website etc.

    A-ha! Personality wise if I was to choose I too would probably favour Kylie. Madonna leaves me quite cold as a person and after reading her unauthorised bio, I came away thinking, this woman is just totally out for herself!! And doesn't care who or what she uses to get ahead!! What a mega-bitch!! Kylie on the other hand doesn't have that vibe about her and seems genuine. But I still think she she might been influenced by some of Madonna's ideas - it's inevitable. That's a more charitable way of putting it, isn't it?

    Yes Nora's picture is ravishing. That's Rita Fairclough you know. An enduring Coronation Street character who once sung "Lily Marlene" in fact. She's a bit old for all that now.

    And yes - serves you right if you did walk home shoeless, you vicious person!!

     
  • At 1:26 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    I believe Kylie's dress designer is the "Doctor Who" fan. He's one of the entourage that travels with her on tour. I wondered if he was still with her as it was quite a while back I read the interview in which Kylie mentioned "DW".

    Favourite Kylie songs are "Confide In Me" and her duet with Nick Cave, "Where the Wild Roses Grow". Do you remember French and Saunders' operatic treatment of "I Should Be So Lucky"?!!

     
  • At 5:12 am , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, man! I so love French & Saunder opera take on that tune! I have that vid clip on my iPod to watch when I need a giggle!

    Like, Timewarden, I also love the duet with Nick Cave -- even if that vid clip creeps me out! LOL!

    Cheers to Kylie!

    Oh, and yes! I knew who Nora's pic was of! I just love it!

     
  • At 12:34 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Time Warden - that's interesting, another Who connection then. And if this guy designed Kylie's current costumes it's little wonder we had Cybermen thrown into the mix! What next? Kylie impersonating one of the Cat-nuns? Kylie as a Dalek (mmm could be a bit difficult in terms of mobility on stage). Still, the possibilities are endless!

    I do indeed remember French and Saunders' take on "Lucky" - totally hilarious!! I think I will hunt for it on youtube.

    And Nick Cave was / is very creepy. But good to see Kylie trying something different. She went through a gothic / rock phase - writing songs with the Manic Street Preachers etc - which didn't totally suit her, I think. When it comes down to it, I think she does the disco/dance genre best. Nowt wrong with a bit of experimentation every now and then though.

     
  • At 1:41 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    I don't think she's dull, far from it, but some do.

    I have a lot to say about I should be so lucky. Take the happy little tune away and it's a really sad song. I think that's why she's a gay icon, appearing happy when sad and triumph over adversity. Gay, gay, gay.

     
  • At 5:41 pm , Blogger matty said...

    I agree with Lovely Minge -- I've always loved that Lucky song -- and, there is something oddly off-putting or sad about it. And, yet it is all wrapped up in totally infectious pop bubbles.

    I think she was involved with Mr. Cave for a while, was she not?

    I think Kylie is just classy about the way she handles herself with the public and the press.

    I still feel her finest hour thus far is YOUR DISCO NEEDS YOU. ....I kept wishing she and Robbie would hook up more often. I also love KIDS.

     
  • At 9:12 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    I Should Be So Lucky? Sad? Erm, am I missing something?? Is there a tragic undertone to this jolly, boppy, poppy SAW toon that I was not previously aware of? Explain, s'il vous plait!

    Yes old Kyles does seem to deal with the press etc pretty well.

    I agree Matty, "Your Disco" is a fantastic song. Very obviously about the gay scene, with a self-aware lyric:

    "We're sold on vanity
    But that's so see-through
    Take your body to the floor
    Your disco needs you..."

    And "Kids" is exuberant, a real get up and chuck yourself round the dance floor number!!

     
  • At 1:56 am , Blogger matty said...

    I guess I always found the lyric to LUCKY to be somewhat -- oh, is 'ironic' the word I want to use?

    ...she SHOULD be so lucky but she isn't.

    wishing but not getting the wish.

    It just never quite meshed with the peppy/happy tune that I love to hum!
    ...of course, I've always been known to over-read things.

     
  • At 12:56 pm , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    Both 'I Should Be So Lucky' and 'Better the Devil You Know' have sad undertones despite being poppy; they're both about being dicked around by men.

     
  • At 1:41 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty / Lost Boy - you know, I think you're both right, thinking about the lyrics to "Lucky":

    "In my imagination there is no hesitation,
    I dream about you all the time.
    In my mind a celebration, the sweetest of sensations,
    Thinking you could be mine."

    All about wishing for something that you haven't got ...

    "But dreaming's all I do
    If if only they'd come true."

    Yes!! My goodness! A Stock, Aitken and Dennis Waterman song with a sad /tragic subtext! Would you adam and eve it?

     
  • At 1:45 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    I'm also very pleased to see that our Kyles has generated so much discussion! I think this must be a record number of comments for one of my posts!! Admittedly quite a few of them were written by me, but then I like to participate in discussion ...

    Thanks gents! I've been lucky, lucky, lucky!!

    Mrs Mangel x

     
  • At 4:50 pm , Blogger Minge said...

    Exactly. A happy tune with tragic lyrics. Gays love it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home