Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, January 20, 2008

N-n-n-n-nineteen


Nice body Anthony mate, but I'm not sure about the knickers. And who's been drawing on your torso with felt tip?

Has anyone actually been watching the latest series of "Big Brother"? So far, I've noticed a conspicuous lack of posts from other bloggers - seems to be little or no interest in the current bunch of housemates, unless I'm much mistaken? Eh peeps?

This time last year, we were all glued to Celebrity Big Brother and it's various goings-on, not least the whole Shilpa Shetty debacle.

Then in June '07 "normal" BB returned with such delightful inmates as Charley and Chanelle. The last incarnation of BB also began with the seemingly "radical" move of having an entirely female set of housemates. This didn't last when a lone male called Ziggy entered proceedings, followed some time later by further blokes. And nice-but-dim fella Brian ended up the outright winner.

This year is a different affair entirely. They've decided to populate the house with a bunch of teenagers. Well, just about. Two thirds of the housemates are a mere 19 years of age (half my lifetime - blimey, do I feel OLD or what) whilst the rest of them have been walking this planet for 20-21 years to be precise. All of them, children. This is a new move for BB, as in previous editions they've always tended to have a wide cross section of age groups, from teenagers to OAPs. Obviously they're thinking a similar age demographic might make for good viewing?

Actually, I'm not sure if it does.

I was going to add that I haven't been a particularly avid viewer of BB 2008 so far, although Gu and I have ended up flicking it on when there's been nowt else to watch on TV. First impressions of the new BB bunch seem to be that they're all quite confident and assured for ones so young, if exhibiting that slight "I know everything about the world and life" arrogance (or should that be misguidedness?) that people of this age sometimes do. I freely admit to having that "I know it all" attitude when at Sixth Form/University...do you know what I mean?

Anyhow amongst the new recruits this time round, there's ... Anthony, a rather fit boxer who is a tad cocky but actually kind of sweet too. Amy a "conceptual artist" who I find rather cold and irritating for some reason. Liam, a 19 year old entrepreneur who runs his own successful web design business and who I found him kind of weird and asocial. Maybe all that time devoted to his career has had a knock-on effect on his social skills. Anyway he's just been evicted so it doesn't matter much any more ... Then there's Jay, a gay fashion designer (you'd never know it from the sound of his voice and campy hand gestures, not to mention the black nail polish). He's actually proved rather boring to date, surprising for a supposedly flamboyant queen. Victor, a circus performer whose younger sister Emilia is also present in the house. But he too has just been kicked out, which I'm actually pleased about as he was fast shaping up to be Mr Arrogant with his boasts about girls and attitude towards Emilia, expecting her to cook and make him cups of tea! Cute, fit and muscly he might have been but I'm not that sorry to see him go. And John, a rotund ginger Scotsman and Chairman of the Scottish Youth Parliament. Only 20 years old to boot, he was the first person to enter the house. I have a hunch that he's a strong contender for winner. Though not really a "looker" he has an intelligence and grounded quality that goes beyond his years and he also seems to be a good negotiator in the house. It's the less flash and brash, more calm and collected housemates that can often ultimately win through.

I kind of went off the point there. In listing some of the new housemates, what I was trying to arrive at is that all of them (perhaps with the exception of John) are too much of a similar ilk? Having some older people in the BB house would have brought a greater depth of experience and lifestyles to the mix and that's what seems to be lacking this time round. Watching a load of over-confident 19-20 somethings could get very samey.

What do the rest of you think?

4 Comments:

  • At 6:34 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    I hate when television does that (ie. just goes for a certain demographic). Are you just supposed to disapear after 30? It's nice to have a mix--age, race, and gender. I believe it always offers an interesting dynamic.

     
  • At 7:18 am , Blogger Steve said...

    *Mouth opens in shock* There's a new series of BB? To tell you the truth I'd completely missed it! I had no idea! Karen and I have been ploughing through all the DVDs we got for Christmas - so haven't watched much TV apart from a few selected highlights... maybe that explains why we've totally missed the BB media frenzy...!

     
  • At 8:51 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    I have never watched a Big Brother programme yet (see, now whose mouth is open in shock??)...I haven't felt the need to...now, as long as you keep posting photos like this one Simon I won't have to! I'll be able to get the glory without the guts (gnuts?)

     
  • At 1:54 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Deemer - Well I guess strictly speaking there is a mix of race and gender in there - it's mainly white and black people though and a token gay. It's just at that age they all tend to have similar attitudes and ways of relating to the world. I think, anyhow.

    Steve - I can't believe you didn't know about it! Especially as you and I have engaged in so much hot BB debate before. Remember? Still, you're not missing much. I bet your DVDs are infinitely more rivetting! Is one of them "Attack of the killer pig" starring Jade Goody, by any chance?

    Amanda - You don't have a BB NZ do you - but there is an Aussie one? Well darling, I'll do me best to post similar hot piccies. Can't guarantee I'll stick with watching the programme itself though...not so gripping this time round...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home