Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

39 - it's official

Well I am now officially 39 and I'm pleased to say that I'm not feeling bad atall. The same as ever really. Thanks to those of you who sent me birthday good wishes, I was very honoured and touched. I had a nice day yesterday with Gustavo - we both took the day off work and took it easy, although there was the slight problem of a leaking kitchen ceiling to fix. However I'm pleased to say that it got sorted pretty promptly. The estate agents who are selling the flat upstairs sent a plumber round forthwith who was able to pinpoint the problem - leaking pipe underneath the floorboards which was dripping down from above into the kitchen. Anyway the drippage has now stopped although the wallpaper has done the clasic thing of peeling away from the ceiling - so I will see if I can get someone to foot the bill to fix it!

Rest of the day we went shopping in Croydon and I treated myself to some new togs - jeans and some groovy retro t-shirts and a few DVDs. As for presents, my hubbie got me a groovy summer jacket and zip up top from Top Man. Apparently I'm due something else but it hasn't turned up in the post yet. How exciting! Late afternoon we had nice meal and some wine at home and just took it easy. Birthdays should come round more often! (Without the growing old part, I should add...)

Oh and my father - who lives over in Amsterdam and is delightfully eccentric, not to say creative - wrote and emailed me this poem:

Dear Simon,
It's the 17th today
And I'd just like to say,
That you're looking rather grey.
Were you celebrating yesterday
Or just practising for Monday,
-Was that a yeah or a nay?

Cheesy pomes are now my style,
(but beware an excess of bile),
You may find them cringingly vile
And want to run an hundred mile.
PS. Of loot I have no pile,
So I'll send you a bathroom tile;

It's a cloggy one with a naughty picture
I'm hoping it will become a fixture,
And yearly tiles'll add to the mixture,
Many Bacchanalian scenes to titillate yer,
And of course the frequent visitor,
Hopefully not a detective inspector.

I'll stop this now coz I'm beginning to cringe,
Yer father needs a bit of minge,
He's older than you, and cannot binge
His hair's an even greyer tinge
And he's far too fond of the endless whinge,
Beware the 39 candles, thats one hell of a singe!

Isn't he clever? A bloody masterpiece eh?! (Even if the second line in the final verse is rather naughty...!)

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 2:36 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ha ha! That's bloody brilliant, that! My dad is a bit of a poet too, or rather he used to be. Hasn't written any in about 20 years or so, but we always said he should have a book of them published. Aren't dads great?! :-)

     
  • At 3:58 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    At least it was the water pipes and not the toilet pipes? Can you imagine the unimaginable pealing from the ceiling? Yikes!!

    Good writing (that's not the proper way to say it i think) must run in the family. Your dad's poem was great! Thank you for sharing. The birthday day sounds fun too! ( :

     
  • At 6:04 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Ha ha! Glad you had a great day. My God, not sure what I'd do if my dad started bandying words like "minge" around! Let alone putting them in a birthday poem to me! ;-)

     
  • At 7:34 pm , Blogger Deemer said...

    I had to google minge

     
  • At 10:57 pm , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    I guess you know you'er on the slippery slope when your plumbing starts to get outta whack!! My dad also used to have a fondness for poetry, and along the Pam Ayers style too, your dad must be great!! Glad you had a good day, ol' bean!

     
  • At 6:26 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    If the second line in the final verse is true, at least your father is living in the right city to rectify his need!

     
  • At 4:35 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, I love that poem!!!!

    Happy birthday to a very clever and handsome BOY! ...39 was a great year for me!

    I hope it is a great one for you!

    kisses,
    matty

     
  • At 10:11 pm , Blogger Brand New W said...

    happy birthday!!! i love the word minge!!

     
  • At 8:25 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hello all!

    In York at t'moment chucks, so 'avin a bit of a break, like (God I'm so good at doing a Northern accent).

    Lisa - Aaah so you have a poetic Pa too eh? Good to hear. Dads are indeed cool. And yes it's high time your Papa got his pomes published (spot the alliteration).

    Deemer - Uuuuuugh! Quite! Yello liquid gushing through the ceiling doesn't bear thinking about. Now if it had been champagne, I would of course have been stood underneath with my mouth open...

    Thanks for the comments about the writing. Yes a hereditary thing no doubt.

    And you mean to say you didn't know the meaning of "minge"?! Still I guess you have different words in the US! Not to mention the fact that, a man of your, erm orientation might not have had much "minge" contact, if you don't mind me saying...hence the ignorance in these matters! Oddly enough I just made a reference to "fanny" on your blog, but again the meaning in your country is slightly different to that in the UK! The things we can learn from one another eh?

    Steve - Yeah, it is a bit strange but then my Dad has always been a kind of young soul - hard to believe he's almost 60.

    Amanda - Another poetic Pa eh! Pam Ayres eh? Erm, not wishing to sound rude but she wasn't perhaps my favourite poet, although I guess she could be reasonably funny...(he said grudgingly)...

    Tim - Would you care to elaborate on your comment? I just don't understand!

    Hot Lunch - Mmmm, for a presumably gay man I am again intrigued as to why "minge" holds such a fascination for you, darling! Still stranger things have happened, I guess!

     
  • At 11:13 am , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    You'll have to change your description on your blog now to update your new age. Mind you, it's all downhill after you hit 40 so enjoy being 39 for as long as you can!

     
  • At 12:39 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Nora - Oh my goodness, you're right, I didn't change it. Have done now! Of course it was probably subconscious - me not wanting to admit the fact that I'm one year older. Perhaps I should just leave it at "39" for the next few years, particularly in view of your, erm, last depressing comment!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home