Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Friday, August 15, 2008

Done and dusted (kind of)

Well, my first ever driving lesson is now done and dusted.

It actually felt incredibly strange to be sitting in the driving seat after nearly 40 years of car avoidance. Weeeeeiiiird!!

Fortunately my instructor seems like a nice, ordinary, down-to-earth chap (not like the psycho in Happy Go Lucky, thank the lord) and that made it easier. He started off taking me through all the functions of the car, gas pedal, brakes, clutch, hand brake etc. Actually seemed like rather a lot to remember.

And then after all the requisite explanations...

I MADE MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT DRIVING.

O.M.G. I felt SO nervous. How would I handle controlling this great hunk of metal that surrounded me? How would I manage to manoeuvre my way down the road without smashing into something or someone? I suddenly felt so responsible and the weight of it all was upon me...

Gawd. I am sounding like a bona fide drama queen aren't I (something I've NEVER done before...)

Anyway, I put my foot down on the clutch, changed into first gear, foot off the clutch, down on the gas pedal, turned the steering wheel to the right to pull away from the kerb (yes I forgot to indicate but there was nothing behind me, and it was my first time, right...?) then started to accelerate down the road. The steering wheel felt very strange and my instinct was to hold it straight, but this of course doesn't mean that the wheels were straight and I started to veer off to the other side of the road! Yikes! My instructor quickly grabbed the wheel and put me right. I drove a few hundred yards, pulled over to the left and parked...phew.

How strange it all was.

And my next lesson is next week!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 7:33 pm , Blogger Brand New W said...

    congratulations!!! (or is this some sort of metaphor about topping for the first time?)

     
  • At 8:23 am , Blogger Steve said...

    This brings back so many memories. I started learning a couple of years ago, lept it up for a year and then had to temporarily abandon lessons as I just couldn't afford to keep doing them (though I mean to resume them some day). It's amazing how quickly you become competent enough to drive on the real life road! Scary and exciting all at the same time. Just wait till they get you on the motorway! Best of luck, OC!

     
  • At 11:14 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Hots - Thanks babe! Do you mean "done and dusted" as a metaphor? Eh?

    Stevenage - Good to know I'm not the only learner who started later in life! So you got by all those years without a car then?

    You're right, it IS scary and exciting. Me on the motorway - aaaaaah!! Thanks for the good wishes. Hope the holiday break is going well for you and your family.

     
  • At 4:19 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I learnt as a teenager and passed well before I was competent - just luck (well for me, not for the population at large!). My instructor only had one leg. He occasionally wore a wooden peg like thing which was a little off putting as he would whip it off to slap the window when he wanted me to do an emergency stop.

    But good luck. If you learn to drive in London you will be confident anywhere. People are always amazed that I will drive in any city or country but having learnt in central London even Rome isn't too scary!!!

     
  • At 2:43 am , Blogger The Sagittarian said...

    When I first learned to drive there was one occasion that I backed into our fence at home. I immediately got into gear and drove forward at pace, thus taking the fence with me. So much for hoping the parents didn't notice!!
    You'll get there OC and there'll be no stopping you once you get going (apart from the price of petrol)

     
  • At 4:03 pm , Blogger Glenda Young said...

    Oh well done! It took me 4 times to pass my test and if I can do it... well.. anyone can. Really.

     
  • At 6:17 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Gina - Interesting story! And thanks! You're right about London too - kind of a baptism by fire I guess, but it can only get better after driving there...

    Amanda - Cheers! You fence-wrecker, you!

    Nora - Ooooh 4 times! I kind of hope I can pass a bit sooner than that...no offence!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home