Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Birthday celebrities

And whilst we're still on the subject of my birthday (I promise to shut up about it very soon), did you know that the following people were born on 17th March too?


Actor Rob Lowe. Still looking very handsome and cute at 43 years old! Mmm-mmm. I wouldn't say no to him. If I wasn't married, that is. And he wasn't married and straight. Only small obstacles to surmount, then.

I loved him in all those 80s Brat-pack movies like "St Elmo's Fire" (in which he played a saxophonist with a fabulous mullet hairstyle).



Actor Kurt Russell. Not really my type but if you're into butch, ugly-handsome, action man type guys, then he probaby does it for you. Most of his movies are rather dull and formulaic too. Oh well!







Actor Patrick Duffy. Who can ever forget him as Bobby, the nicer than nice member of the Ewing family in the 70s/80s supersoap "Dallas"?? That's Bobby on the left, just about to save long-running love interest Pam from being run over by the psychotic Katherine Wentworth and getting himself killed in the process...or did he?

NOPE!! For it transpired that dizzy Pam had dreamt her beloved Bobby's death (not to mention an entire season of "Dallas") and woke up to be greeted by her not-so-dead fella in the shower!! (I hope that happens to me when I'm 50 and I wake up to discover I'm really still only 25). Anyway I'm going off on a slight Dallas tangent but Pat Duffy has always seemed a good egg. And anyone remember him as "The Man From Atlantis"?


Rudolf Nureyev. Highly talented - and gay - ballet dancer. Sadly died from AIDS-related illnesses in 1992. Someone once told me a rude story about him. Supposedly he had a huge, erm, member and would only sleep with another guy if theirs was bigger than his. Apparently he was a tough act to follow.






Nat King Cole. Popular singer, songwriter and jazz pianist, again no longer with us. "Unforgettable" was one of his most famous songs. And Natalie Cole (she of the hit "Pink Cadillac") is his daughter.




Mercedes McCambridge. Academy award-winning American actress who passed away just a few years ago. She starred in the offbeat western movie and cult classic "Johnny Guitar" as an evil cowgirl, alongside Hollywood icon and diva, Joan Crawford. Apparently the two actresses hated each other guts. And years later Mercedes (doesn't she have an odd name?) provided the voice of the demonically possessed young girl played by Linda Blair in "The Exorcist". Altogether now - "Your mother sucks cocks in hell!!" She must have had a ball with that one. She was also rumoured to be a dyke.

Which leaves me positively HONOURED to share my birthday with such an esteemed bunch of celebrities! And interesting that so many of them are actors or in a creative profession. But that's Pisces people for you...we're a very artistic and talented bunch!!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10:33 pm , Blogger matty said...

    wow! that is quite a list of fellow bday'er's!!!

    Oh, poor Ms. McCambridge! She was an extraordinary actor! She still rocks the screen in JOHNNY GUITAR!!! ...and, what would EXORCIST be without that voice (which I read her say was enhanced by lots of ciggies, whiskey and malts) LOL!

    Saw THE THING the other day at the castro and had forgotten how hot Kurt Russell used to be.

    sigh.

     
  • At 11:16 pm , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    I was always keen on Molly Ringwald, from the Brat-pack movies, especially in "Pretty in Pink" and "The Breakfast Club". Never took to Demi Moore and always hated "About Last Night".

    Funnily enough, I caught Kurt again, too, in "The Thing" a month or so back. Possibly John Carpenter's best film. It actually delivers!

    Interesting you should mention celebs that share your bday. I usually check on Teletext each day to see whose birthday it is! Bowie and Elvis are the day before mine and Rod Stewart the day after!

     
  • At 7:18 am , Blogger Steve said...

    In total agreement as regards The Thing. I still watch it every now and then and am amazed at how little it's dated. Very taut and sparse. Unlike Kurt's beard.

     
  • At 2:01 pm , Blogger matty said...

    Oh, I would not mind being "worked" by Kurt's beard circa 1981! LOL!

    ...I think Bob Dylan was born on my bday. I think. I like his lyrics but I do not like the way he sings.

     
  • At 2:52 pm , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Try Bryan Ferry's new album "Dylanesque", Matty, then you'll have the best of both worlds... the great lyrics sung by the master crooner (admittedly, I'm biased)!

     
  • At 9:50 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - yes indeed it is, impressive huh?

    I must see Johnny Guitar one day, have never watched it...and Mercedes is scary as hell in The Exorcist.

    I don't think Kurt R ever did it for me for some reason - each to their own though! Now now Matty, don't get carried away by thoughts of Kurt's beard, calm down...However I agree with all of you re:"The Thing" - a good horror movie.

    Talking of Mollie R, oddly enough my hubbie and I, post birthday hangover, were watching "Not Another Teen Movie" last night...yes scraping the bottom of the barrel I know, but when you're feeling a bit delicate and fatigued you'll watch anything. Anyhow Ms Ringwald appears in a rather amusing cameo in it at the end! (I should add it was probably the most amusing thing in the entire movie...Okay, it wasn't THAT bad I guess). Mollie played a rather bitchy airline clerk who takes the p*ss out of the main teenage boy character who, in typical rom-com fashion chases after the love of his life and stops her from getting on a plane in the nick of the time. Mollie says something like "Oh please...can't you get the lines from Pretty in Pink right?" And then walks off in disgust saying "F*cking teenagers" !! Age has obviously turned the former teen-queen into a hard-bitten cynic.

     
  • At 2:13 pm , Blogger matty said...

    They're screening a double feature of PRETTY IN PINK and CARRIE @ The Castro next month. ...I'm so totally there!!!

     
  • At 2:14 pm , Blogger matty said...

    And, yes! Rent JOHNNY GUITAR! It is so wrought with gay subtext! So cool!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home