Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Saint Shilpa


So, Shilpa Shetty is the winner of Celebrity Big Brother 2007. Big surprise? Not really. Perhaps Shilpa's success seemed a touch predictable and obvious given all that she'd endured during her stay in the house. But on the whole I still felt her victory was thoroughly deserved.

Initially I thought Shilpa was going to be a diva of the highest order, in the J-Lo, Mariah Carey or Diana Ross vein. As an esteemed and successful film star with an entourage, I was half-expecting to see her lording it over the other housemates, ordering them around and making them do her bidding at every opportunity. Which just goes to show one should never go by first impressions, as Ms Shetty turned out to be nothing like this.

Whilst there were undeniable cultural differences between Shilpa and some of the other celebrities, she proved herself to be a calm, graceful and dignified person (sorry Steve, nicked some of your adjectives there...am in agreement with your views though!) Moreover, she rose above the petty squabbles and stupidity exhibited by certain other housemates and treated everyone equally and with respect. In her post-win interview with Davina, Shilpa very graciously stated that she wanted to forget all the problems that had occurred in the house and was prepared to forgive Jade and co for what had happened. Blimey. She truly IS a Saint. Despite Shilpa's incredible capacity for forgiveness, I can't exactly see her and the others being best buddies in the future! She also seemed upset when Davina showed her all the clips of Jade, Jo and Danielle bitching about her. Well, who wouldn't?

And this morning I turned on GMTV to see Jo O'Meara crying about what had happened before and saying she was sorry, blah blah blah, or words to that effect. Crocodile tears, girlfriend? Or are you just scared you've royally f*cked your (already pitiful) career?

Viva Shilpa!! The just always get their reward in the end.

And the witches...deserve to have their broomsticks shoved where the sun doesn't shine. Although I think the metaphorical equivalent of that is already happening to all of them.

Until Celebrity Big Brother 2008, then!

Meanwhile, I will have to find some other topics to write about...yikes!!

8 Comments:

  • At 4:41 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Hey, it's always a huge compliment to be quoted... especially on such a superlative blog! Cheers mate!

     
  • At 5:01 pm , Blogger matty said...

    From all the clips I've watched on You Tube she really seems like a good person. Nice to know that the good guy can win.

    Oh, no! I just realized that this means no more BB updates till next year!!!!

    I'm sure that Horror Fish/Woman must be up to something these days! We need reports!!!

     
  • At 5:04 pm , Blogger Steve said...

    Is it me or is there an echo in here?

     
  • At 5:10 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Steve - the echo just vanished, ha ha!!

    You are most welcome anyway.

    Matty - Very well, I shall endeavour to provide Jade a.k.a. Fish Woman updates. Mmm. Having said that, the woman has such a horrid nature, I'm a bit loathe to have the curse of the Pig tainting my blog. Only extreme gossip Jade reports will be permitted, I think.

     
  • At 4:48 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    Shilpa certainly comes across as a very dignified lady.

    One thing that worries me is that Jermaine is allowed to make reference to "white trash" without reprimand which, whilst possibly true, is equally racist. If someone uses a derogatory term in connection with his colour it's racist but in conjunction with our colour it's permissible? Perhaps a case of the pot calling the kettle black!!!

    I watched an interview with Danielle and Ian on "This Morning". He held her hand throughout and was clearly there in a supporting capacity whilst doing most of the talking. All I can say is, "What a true gent"! I hope Danielle realises that this is what friendship is. And, where was her boyfriend? Maybe I was being manipulated but Ian's decency brought a tear to my eye. He even gave Danielle, who looked scared throughout, a peck on the cheek at the end of the interview. I'm concerned about Ian's health though. He no longer looks like the well-groomed carefree young lad of Steps but quite haggard.

     
  • At 10:08 am , Blogger Lost Boy said...

    The Jermaine 'white trash' comment has been widely reported but taken out of context. Apparently, Carole Malone said it to him and he repeated what he'd heard. But anyway. I'm not sure there was a deserving winner this year. I suppose Shilpa's victory was in some way to compensate for the hard time she's endured but if it hadn't been for the bullying I doubt she'd have done much better than 6th place. Good for her, though. I do notice that she's changed her forgiving stance in her Mirror interviews now that she's seen more footage.

     
  • At 9:59 pm , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Matty - I agree about Shilpa. Interesting anecdote from This Morning! I don't know if I could have been so supportive of Danielle, I found her very two-faced and too easily led by others, especially the Pig. Still people can realise the error of their ways I guess. Maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

    Lost Boy - I think the bullying did influence people's opinion of Shilpa but I still reckon that she came across as more likeable than a lot of the other housemates. I would have been happy to see Cleo, Ian or Jermaine win, the rest of 'em didn't really bother me. What's Shilpa saying now then?

     
  • At 10:50 am , Blogger Minge said...

    Shilpa certainly deserved it. Though I'm sad Ian didn't come second. Dirk and Jermaine were just too dull.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home