Diary of an old cheeser

Hi there! Like other blogs, this is my chance to wax lyrical (some might say talk utter cr*p) about a) what's happening in my life b) all of my pet obsessions in particular music, tv, movies, books and other generally connected things, quite often of the retro, old and "cheesy" variety. Hence the title of my blog. Feel free to leave a comment if the mood takes you. There's nothing like a good chinwag about one's favourite topics and besides I love to meet new people! Cheers, Simon

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Change my dear ... and it seems not a moment too soon ...

I'm aware that I haven't written many "what's going on in my life" type posts for some time. Instead my blog seems to have become awash with rude jokes and cheesy video clips. Which kind of absolves me of the responsibility of writing about anything else, really, doesn't it? He he...

Wellllll. I'm sure you're all dying to know what joyous occurrences I've been going through of late, aren't you? No?? NO?? Like, what-evvvver!! Look, I can't be expected to write about Dr Who and retro/kitsch/trashy stuff ALL the time, now can I? Just 98% of it. And the eagle-eyed amongst you will undoubtedly have spotted the Dr Who quote already. I just HAD to get it in somewhere.

You may remember me talking about my job situation and my decision to take voluntary redundancy, as a result of changes in my department. Well...it's now been officially confirmed by the powers that it's all going ahead and I can leave!! Hoorah! And if all goes according to plan I should be leaving next week (just before Good Friday). Double hoorah!! With a rather large package in my hand. And lest you think I'm turning into Graham Norton, I'm talking about lots of money. Triple hoorah!!

In many ways, the reality hasn't hit me yet and I still have a lot of loose ends to tie up at work before I finish off (funny how much more motivated you become when you know you're leaving a job!) And interestingly, lots of other people in my dept have opted to do the same thing - there are now far more people leaving than was thought previously (nearly half the department!) and I think it's come as a bit of a shock to some. Tomorrow some three people are leaving my team. Soon the office is going to be like a graveyard! But as I've already intimated, the new jobs just didn't appeal to me and I know I am doing the right thing. I'd been longing to get out for so long and having this opportunity come along was just too good to resist! Things really do happen for a reason.

I have to say I do feel sorry for those of my colleagues who are being left behind as they'll have to pick up the pieces and most likely deal with an increased workload. Some of them are questioning their judgement in staying as well. Without going into detail, the common opinion about the new department structure is that it's been badly thought out and won't work. Hence one reason for the large number of departures. Well, I'm sorry but it's not my problem for much longer, darlings. I just hope my old workmates will all be okay.

And as much as I have grown increasingly bored and frustrated with my job, I have worked with some really fabulous and fun people, some of whom have become good friends. I intend to keep in touch with a fair few of them.

So change is blowing in the wind! I've already registered with some employment agencies and have some job applications in the pipeline so that's something to fall back on. But frankly I can't wait to have a week or two's break, it will be wonderful. I've just booked a little jaunt to Wales for a few days, which will be lovely - getting out of the Big Smoke and breathing some fresh country air appeals to me massively. Hello trees!! Hello grass!! Hello Fields!! (I did ask my friend if we could also go to Cardiff so I can see the real Torchwood but I'm not sure if she's so keen...damn it...)

Meanwhile my hubbie has been going through lots of changes too. A few weeks ago he was promoted to assistant manager with his company and he's been working very hard in his job. It's funny because he started working for this company less than two years ago in a junior position and has managed to ascend to managerial status pretty quickly. (I do not, for a single moment, imagine that there is any kind of casting couch process in his company...he got to where he is through hard graft, honesty and genuine ability...of course, of course!) I couldn't help joking with him though that in a couple of years time he'd be Managing Director of the company whilst I was still doing exactly the same thing!! Fortunately that is NOT how things have worked out.

So 2007 has turned out to be a good year so far.

And if you also recall I'm also seeking to develop a new skill through my web design night class. I'm now into about the fifth week of the course. It's all useful and interesting although so far there's been quite a bit to assimilate. We started off learning Macromedia Flash, which is actually quite tricky and fiddly and (in my opinion anyhow) only really necessary if you want your website to look...flash (boom boom). But I definitely need more practice with it. After the Easter break we're starting on Dreamweaver, a software package used to construct websites which I think will be much more useful. Can't wait to get my teeth into that. So hopefully by the end of it all I'll be a web meister.

And there's even more treats in store too...a certain sci-fi programme returns to our screens this Saturday for 13 weeks...

3 Comments:

  • At 6:04 am , Blogger TimeWarden said...

    "So change is blowing in the wind!" - For a minute, there, I thought you were turning into Bobby Dylan! Seriously though, I hope your job hunting goes well, Simon, and that you find a more satisfying position, so to speak!!

    Enjoy your break away, luxuriating in the green, green grass of Charlie Church! Just make sure you're in front of that TV set, Saturday nights!!

     
  • At 7:33 am , Blogger Steve said...

    Sending you my very best wishes - change can be a wonderful, empowering occurence and I certainly hope it is so for you. Especially enjoy your break in Wales - if the weather is decent enough the wife and I are also planning a long weekend in the valleys over Easter. Great minds!

     
  • At 8:14 am , Blogger Old Cheeser said...

    Timewarden - perhaps I am turning into Mr Dylan!

    Thanks for all your good wishes. And a satisfying position is of course, much more desirable than an unfulfilling one, yes indeed! (In many contexts).

    And is that a Charlotte Church reference I spy there? You're right, I will have to insist that my mate and I take a break from all the Welsh sightseeing to plonk ourselves down in front of the telly at 7pm on Saturday...of course there is that thing they called a video that can be called upon if need be...

    Steve - Thank you! You're absolutely right, change is a very positive thing! That's a coincidence about you and your partner going to Wales - great minds indeed. It really does look beautiful from all the pics I've seen. Have a great break!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home